neither accepted nor denied Improving the server population and TOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miraa

In-game name: Miraa / Mirax

Description of suggestion:
Before I suggest anything... I wanna express how i feel regarding the current state of the server. Do you remember the days where having 400~500 users online were the norm? It's feels weird and sad for me to be in a empty channel 1 FM at times.. More players are leaving everyday including players getting banned for keyweighting. I am aware of the consequences and how keyweighting affects the economy, but i strongly believe that banning these players doesn't solve the economy issue as well.

List of possible suggestions that i've come up with:

1) Keyweighting offence to be lenient to first offenders. They will be banned from the game temporarily but not permanently. A few days ban would be nice as i believe not everyone reads the TOS when they first started, and it's also to give them a stern warning that keyweighting is strongly forbidden. If players were to get banned for keyweighting and having to start all over again, usually they won't return. Temporary bans also encourage players to reflect during their ban, and i believe players that committed this offence deserve a second chance at least.

2) Upgrading Windia's version to v92. Not sure if it's possible or even necessary, but i believe a version upgrade might increase the player count and introduce slightly more classes (dual blades) and contents. Since v92 is still pre-bigbang, i believe it wouldn't affect the current state of the server. However, i'm not sure whether if it will affect the server stability.

Lastly, I would like to thank everyone for reading.. Everything stated here is a mixture of my own opinions and others. So please do not flame me thanks!
I would like to hear more opinions as well.. Let me know what you think and what can be done.

Regards,
Mira

Nekomaki

Head of Staff
Administrator
1) Allowing users that cheat/bot/keyweight/etc. back on their previous accounts is 100% not a good idea. Allowing banned users back on their previous accounts would just encourage people to do the same and just assume they'll be forgiven with a temporary ban and a slap on the wrist.

Before you ask, "Why not just roll back their accounts?"
Remember this is an MMORPG. It's far too risky to roll back someone's account. The consequences would far outweigh the benefits, if any.

2) While I'm not a developer, I can personally assume that the effort it would take to UPGRADE (key word) to v92 would not be worth it, compared to making a fresh v92 Windia.

Hopefully that answers some of your questions.

It would help to introduce some events or maybe boss hunt? Server population is taking a huge dip now and definitely will be dead by next 2 weeks :(

Nekomaki

Head of Staff
Administrator
I personally doubt it'll die within the next 2 weeks.

We're currently working on another update so things are going to be coming out a little slowly, and on top of that, people are now going back to their normal lives due to quarantine ending in some (key) countries.

PureLemon

When I was checking out the server in March, I believe the population was around 190-200 online at a time. It is at 300 at the time of writing this (though lots are probably mules). It makes sense that it went up during quarantine and is dropping again since people are returning to work/other things, as Neko stated.

I agree with the temporary ban with keyweighting though. This would only apply for first offenders and it can be something like a 7 day ban. Since not everyone reads the ToS before beginning a private server, lot of people appealing seem to not be aware of the rules until their ban, so it does give a chance for them to learn. Any second offence would result in a permanent ban, as the rules are currently. That can definitely encourage more people to stick around.

I don't believe this will encourage people to keyweight more, as offenders only have one more chance before being permanently banned. GM bot checks seem to happen more frequently now (from what I hear) so second offenders are more likely to get caught, which should discourage them from repeating.

I am curious to see what fresh content rolls out. The v92 idea is cool but I don't know how hard it is to update (apparently not easy) so I'm willing to see what happens.

I have been hearing "the server will be dead in x amount of time" for a while now. I think it is getting a little stagnant now, so there may be some truth to these claims, but we were told that there will be content releasing so let's just see what happens and hope for the best 🙂

Thanks for reading.

shavit

/dev/null
Administrator
About point 2. It's very possible but if I were to go "balls deep" with such an update, you guys gotta know that the v83 server will not receive any meaningful update until the process is done.
It's easy, but also a long process because we'd have to import every changed we made to stock v83. Although not even that.. v92 has cubes and I'm sure we could adjust them to work fine with the server's concept (and even nerf Legion accordingly) but I don't think it's a good idea to update to v92 without doing a fresh start. I'm not in a favor of a fresh start considering the server isn't dead

I'd like to weigh in as someone who recently more or less quit but still lurk in the community.

The keyweighting bans are fair, there's no real way around it. It sounds tone deaf, but if you aren't enjoying the process of farming, you are free to take a break or pursue other goals in the game. In addition, changing the rules now will unfortunately affect others who were forced to play on new accounts.

To address the declining population, there really isn't much the staff can do. Quarantines are lifting in many countries, players have accomplished what Windia has to offer, and the nature of Maplestory is fairly.. uninvolved. With the majority of maplestory playing like a button holding simulator, most of the enjoyment comes from progression. This is not the fault of the server at all.

The progression in this server is just too fast, and a wipe is unfair. The staff are in an unenviable position where the content just gets consumed way too quickly. I vaguely remember Shavit thinking maxed or near max legion would take several months, but with the speed of leeching (despite attempts to nerf it), it can be accomplished fairly quickly.

There really is nothing wrong with just leaving Windia until new content arrives, if you still would like to play by that time.

Nekomaki

Head of Staff
Administrator
As much as we love people spending lots of hours on Windia, we do recommend that you do take breaks every now and then.

For most people, it helps prevent burn-out, and really it's just watching out for your own health and safety, especially during these tough times.

hzmsh

To be honest, I feel the difference between players is largely impacted by local and federal laws about COVID 19. Peak time is when everyone has to stay at home. When I first start Windia, the peak number of players is around 200 ish. The dramatic increase starts in early March when the stay at home order issued.

Nekomaki

Head of Staff
Administrator
I'll be closing this thread as there really isn't much more to discuss about this.

The version upgrade will be considered if (or when) necessary, but the other we cannot really control.
Windia does not control the coronavirus.

As for the change on banned botters, that will be denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.